More Energy Brunel’s PT Lucy Bowgen shares her tips on how to stay healthy this festive season.
We all know the holidays are a time for indulging in delicious foods, relaxing with family and taking a break from daily jobs or studies. How easy is it to stay on track when away from the gym area? Below are some home workouts you can carry out in your home, out and about, in the parks etc.
The circuit below is different lower body exercises that can be carried out to burn calories, tone up and bring that heart rate up!
- Jump squats x 15-20 reps
- Walking lunges x 24 reps
- Sumo squats x 15-20 reps
- Jump lunges x 20reps
Repeat circuit 1 as many times within 5 minutes and take a rest.
And now an upper body circuit that can be carried out anywhere to burn calories, tone up and bring that heart rate up!
- Push ups/ lay down push ups x 12-15 reps
- Caterpillar crawl x 5-10 reps
- Burpees x 10-15 reps
- Downward dog to low plank x 15 reps
Repeat circuit 2 as many times within 5 minutes and take a rest.
Below are some ideas of healthy snacks to keep you on track whilst celebrating the holidays!
- Celery stick and a teaspoon of crunchy no added sugar peanut butter.
- Rice cakes, butter and half a banana sliced on top.
- Handful of almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts.
- Half an apple with crunchy no added sugar peanut butter.
- Wasabie Peas
- Wholegrain Oatcakes
- Popcorn (try to opt for salted)
- Half an apple (with little peanut butter)
- Little pot of hummus with raw vegetables
- Greek yogurt with sprinkle of nuts and little drizzle of honey
- Boiled egg/ scrambled eggs made with skimmed milk
- Wholemeal pitta and hummus
- Celery, carrot sticks, pepper slices with low fat cream cheese dip.
If you’re going for fruits have them earlier in the day or morning time. Opt for;
- Cantaloupe melon slices
- Blackberries or raspberries
We hope you continue to stay fit over the holidays! Merry Christmas and a happy new year from More Energy Brunel!